The legal basis for the operation of the Railway Fund is the Railway Fund Act of 16 December 2005.
The aim of the Fund
The Fund collects and allocates funds to finance:
- tasks of preparation and implementation of the construction and reconstruction of railway lines;
- tasks of carrying out the renovation and maintenance of railway lines and the liquidation of redundant railway lines;
- current expenditure of PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. related to the tasks of the railway infrastructure manager;
- tasks of voivodeship self-governments regarding purchase, modernisation and repair of railway vehicles intended for passenger transportation performed under a public service contract, under the condition of ensuring the organization of voivodeship’s railway passenger services, in particular ensuring inter-voivodeship transport connections envisaged in the plan for sustainable development of public transport;
- acquisition of shares in PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. from Polskie Koleje Państwowe S.A. by the State Treasury, represented by the minister competent for transportation;
- purchase and modernisation by PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. of railway vehicles intended for diagnostics, maintenance, repair or construction of railway infrastructure and for rescue operations;
- the activities of rail infrastructure managers which cannot be financed from charges for the use of railway infrastructure;
- capital investments of PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. including increasing in the share capital of subsidiaries of PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. and subscription by PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. of new shares in the increased share capital;
- consulting services.