Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego
The history of BGK dates back to 1924 when the President of the Republic of Poland, at the initiative of then Prime Minister and Treasury Minister Wladyslaw Grabski, issued a decree establishing BGK. It was created by a merger of three public banks from the Galicia region - the Polish National Bank, the State Reconstruction Bank and the Credit Institution of Malopolska Cities.
The creation of BGK was a result of PM Grabski's economic concepts. Despite being opposed to statism in industry and trade, Grabski was at the same time a supporter of strong state banking. The Bank's main tasks included granting long-term loans through issuance of covered, municipal, railway and bank bonds and offering local government loans as well as providing loans to savings institutions and performing all other banking tasks. The Bank had special obligations towards state-owned and local government companies. Securities issued by BGK were guaranteed by the State Treasury.
After 1926, BGK activities focused on supporting state and municipal institutions, the defense industry and management of industrial plants brought under state control. In that period, the so-called BGK conglomerate was created which included the Association of Starachowice Mining and Smelting Plants, Grodzisk Chemical Plant, Boruta Chemical Industry, The Association of Potassium Salt Mining and a number of other plants.
The Bank also administered the government's special purpose funds, including the Credit Institution Support Fund, State Construction Fund, State Credit Fund and Labour Fund.
At the turn of the 1920s and 1930s, BGK became one of the biggest banks of inter-war Poland and served as the primary participant in the economic restructuring process.
Between 1928 and 1931, a BGK building designed by Rudolf Swierczynski was constructed in Warsaw's Aleje Jerozolimskie street.
After World War II, BGK was reactivated with renowned economist Professor Edward Lipski at its helm. As a result of a banking reform, BGK operation was suspended from 1948.
In 1989, BGK resumed it operation as a state-owned bank and as such acted primarily as issue agent for Treasury bonds, offered for the first time in several decades. The Bank's activities focused on the preparation of sub-agent deals for the sale and redemption of bonds, development of accounting and reporting rules and organizing a nationwide sales network.
In December 1997, BGK returned to its pre-war headquarters in Aleje Jerozolimskie in Warsaw. It was a symbolic return to its roots but also a return to the Bank's best traditions.
Today, the government tasks the Bank with the operation of a number of special purpose funds and programmes (including the National Road Fund, National Housing Fund, Thermomodernisation and Renovation Fund and the Railway Fund).
Currently, BGK actively participates in the implementation of the state's economic objectives. During the economic slowdown, it provides funding for infrastructure investments and thus supports growth of this sector of the economy. It is an important link in the provision of funding and support for areas that are important for the society, such as housing infrastructure, energy efficiency and public utilities. It supports Polish exporters by taking on part of the risk related to trading activities of Polish companies. In collaboration with other financial institutions, BGK improves access to funding for businesses, which translates into lower unemployment and stronger GDP growth.
BGK manages several special purpose funds and a number of governmental programmes. Its mission is to support social and economic growth of Poland and the public finance sector in the performance of its tasks.