The legal basis for the operation of the Railway Fund is the Railway Fund Act of 16 December 2005.
The aim of the Fund
The Fund collects and allocates funds to finance:
- tasks consisting in the preparation and implementation of the construction and reconstruction of railway lines,
- tasks of carrying out the renovation and maintenance of railway lines and the liquidation of redundant railway lines,
- current expenditure of PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. related to the tasks of the railway infrastructure manager,
- in the years 2009 - 2020 the tasks of voivodeship self-governments in the field of purchase, modernisation and repair of railway vehicles intended for passenger transport performed under a public service contract,
- acquisition of shares in PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. from Polskie Koleje Państwowe S.A. by the State Treasury, represented by the minister in charge of transport
- purchase and modernisation by PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. of railway vehicles intended for diagnostics, maintenance, repair or construction of railway infrastructure and for rescue operations,
- the activities of rail infrastructure managers which cannot be financed from charges for the use of railway infrastructure.